These files can be played using Real Audio Player G2. All Rights Reserved. All files keep the original copyrights - it's not allowed to copy, hire, reproduce, sell or lend. Public performance are prohibited. Information - non-profit purpose only. Downloading doesn't give any right for users. These songs can't be used for commercial purpose.
1. Was it difficult to knuckle down and record this new album after the success of "White On Blonde" ?
2. Did you feel very cynical when people suddenly paid you loads of attention when they'd been conspicuous by their absence during the preceding years ?
3. What are your best memories of "White On Blonde" success ?
4. Do you feel you've moved on musically from "White On Blonde" ?
5. You seem to be taking your musical inspiration from many different sources on "The Hush".
6. Of course Abba are enjoying a huge revival right now - were you into them first time around ?
7. Do you think that all today's music inevitably reflects sounds and styles of the past ?
8. What new stuff are you listening to these days and does that influence your music ?
9. What were the advantages of getting Mark "Spike" Stent in to mix the album after Johnny had produced it ?
10. As half of songwriting duo, what songwriting partnership do you really admire ?
11. How does your writing partnership with Johnny work ?
12. Could you ever see yourselves writing for other artists ?
13. There's a lot to this job apart from making music - how do you feel about all the rest of the stuff you have to do ?
14. Do you feel confident about letting others contribute their creative expertise to your work and is keeping control of all that something of a juggling act ?
16. What made you decide to give in to being the official spokesperson for Texas ?
17. What has success meant to you ?
18. During the "White On Blonde" era your face was suddenly everywhere - how do you feel about that exposure aspect of fame ?
20. How do you feel about recent fans who've got into your music because they see you as Texas ?
21. Do you keep a close eye on fashion ?
22. Do you still enjoy touring ?
23. When you're on the road, what are you doing while the guys are out partying ?
24. Does touring wreck your love life ?
25. Did the experience of being apart inspire the song "Day After Day" ?
26. Are sexy lyrics hard to write ?
27. How would you sum up the mood of "The Hush" ?
29. What do you think of people dissecting their lyrics ?
30. Can you tell me about the idea behind the man and boy lyric in "The Saint" ?
31. What gave you the inspiration for the Chinese melody on "In Our Lifetime" ?
32. What was it like working with Kathy "Sister" Sledge on the remix ?
33. How did you get Roger Sanchez to do the remix ?
34. Tell me about the vocal style of "Tell Me The Answer" ?
36. Let's talk about "Summer Son" - why is that song special to you ?
37. Finally in just a few words - how would you describe "The Hush" ?
38. And how would you describe Texas ?
Interview by Mariella Frostrup / Post-production by Sally Stratton. April 1999.
Taken from 'The Hush - Interview disc' (UK promo CD, TEXINT1).